Sunday, September 4, 2011

All around me golden sunflakes Settle on the ground Basking in the sunshine Of a bygone afternoon Bringing sounds of yesterday Into this city room... - Pink Floyd

The room that I am in is small. Small and comfortable. The blankets that are keeping me warm as I sit on this single bed are thick and fuzzy and durable. The walls are white-washed and have paintings on them; one, a small framed picture of painted tulips, hangs above the desk where I imagine I will be spending large parts of my days during the coming weeks as school begins. The other, on the opposite side of the room, is a large decorative cloth and depicted in it are four African women harvesting some sort of plant while two others stand nearby beating on djambes. It seems out of place here where Ecuador has a rich culture all its own, though I remind myself that I too have paintings similar to this one at home.

Outside my window you can see nearby houses and their terraces, but if you are to look beyond them, the mountains show themselves.  There is a terrace here as well near my room, and from it is a beautiful view, where on a clear day you can see three of the major volcanoes surrounding Quito; Cotopaxi, Antisana and Cayambe...

Victoria and I prior to a stroll in the park!




 The ceiling of my room is itself a masterpiece. Looking up I see the kind of ceiling you'd find in an elementrary school. The kind kids try to throw their pencils at. However, five of the ten tiles have been carefully given their own identity. The first I saw was that of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', with bricks sketched onto the white background. Next, there is a man whose neck is tilted at an akward angle, playing the guitar. A man keeping himself warm in a subway station, a bull fighter, as well as a gentleman smoking a cigarette adorn the other four. These were drawn by Sandra, the daughter of Irene, who is the woman I will be staying with over the next three or so months. It's nice to finally have a home in Quito.



 Irene, when I met her, reminded me instantly of an aunt of mine. She greeted me enthusiastically with a touch of her cheek to mine, then grabbed my arm and led me to breakfast where the rest of the group were meeting their host families. Over papayas and granola I spoke nervously in Spanish about studying and my family and my impression of Quito so far.

Irene has kind eyes, something everybody looks for in a person. She also has that sense of having already raised children. A knowing and a willingness to give guidance. She hardly speaks any english, though her daugher is fluent. Fortunately for me, Irene's spanish is well-paced and clear. I have been able to communicate with her more than I had anticipated, and as always, I am reminded that it's sink or swim when you are in situations like these.

As I have been out of internet for a few days, much has happened in terms of new experiences...
Yesterday, Victoria, Brittany, Blaire and I took our first Salsa and Merengue class. Two hours of it. It has been my favourite thing so far, as the music just makes you want to move. I have a lot to learn though in terms of loosening up my hips...a symptom I think of being raised in a society where dance is only something you do while drunk at a bar.

Yesterday we also made our way to La Antigua Ciudad, the Old City, constructed in colonial times while Ecuador was still under influence from Spain. It is a beautiful place where bigger buildings often have intricate patterns carved into them, where the houses are colourful and have beautiful terraces, and where you must constantly be aware of where you are stepping because of the uneveness of the cobblestone.
Getting to the city itself was an adventure. As we took a trolley to get there, for about 25 minutes the term 'personal space' meant nothing and Blaire, Mike and I struggled to keep our balance among the stops and starts while having little room to do so. And I still have yet to take a bus...

This is longer than I had hoped for, but I will say this...

We are in La Granja, which means farm. There is a man playing guitar on my ceiling. Given that these are things that I love, I am taking them as signs that I am supposed to be here.

Keep you all posted as school gets under way!

Adios amigos!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment